Wednesday, September 10, 2025


🔹 Synthesis of Sentences 

Class (x)


1. Indirect Questions (Do you know where/what/who…)

Q: Where has he gone? Do you know it? (HSLC 1999, 2020)
Ans: Do you know where he has gone?

Q: Where does he live? Do you know it? (HSLC 2006, 2010, 2016)
Ans: Do you know where he lives?

Q: My uncle is a novelist. Do you know him?
Ans: Do you know my uncle who is a novelist?


2. Noun Clause (That…)

Q: He is very sincere. Everybody in the school says this. (HSLC 2002)
Ans: Everybody in the school says that he is very sincere.

Q: We should drop the plan. That is my suggestion. (HSLC 2005)
Ans: My suggestion is that we should drop the plan.

Q: He will pass. There is no doubt about it. (HSLC 2006)
Ans: There is no doubt that he will pass.

Q: The rain will stop. Let us wait till then. (HSLC 2007)
Ans: Let us wait till the rain stops.

Q: He was innocent. He wanted to prove it. (HSLC 2009)
Ans: He wanted to prove that he was innocent.

Q: I speak the truth. I am not afraid of it. (HSLC 2012)
Ans: I am not afraid of speaking the truth.

Q: The earth is round. We can prove it. (HSLC 2019)
Ans: We can prove that the earth is round.

Q: The earth moves round the sun. Everybody knows this. (HSLC 2022)
Ans: Everybody knows that the earth moves round the sun.

Q: You were ill. I did not know it.
Ans: I did not know that you were ill.

Q: You will do well. There is no doubt about it.
Ans: There is no doubt that you will do well.

Q: He would not come. He made it clear.
Ans: He made it clear that he would not come.

Q: He is honest. It is known to all.
Ans: It is known to all that he is honest.

Q: It was a good idea. It was a dangerous idea.
Ans: It was a good as well as a dangerous idea.


3. Negative (Neither…nor)

Q: He is not sincere. He is not honest. (HSLC 2007, 2022)
Ans: He is neither sincere nor honest.

Q: He is not intelligent. He is not brave. (HSLC 2014)
Ans: He is neither intelligent nor brave.

Q: This man is not educated. He is not intelligent either.
Ans: This man is neither educated nor intelligent.

Q: She is not intelligent. She is not sincere.
Ans: She is neither intelligent nor sincere.

Q: I have not met him. I have not written to him.
Ans: I have neither met him nor written to him.


4. Too…to

Q: The bird was very small. It could not fly. (HSLC 2014)
Ans: The bird was too small to fly.

Q: The box is very heavy. I cannot lift it. (HSLC 2020)
Ans: The box is too heavy to lift.

Q: He is very weak. He cannot move.
Ans: He is too weak to move.

Q: The stick is very short. It cannot reach the ceiling.
Ans: The stick is too short to reach the ceiling.


5. Condition (If/Unless/Or)

Q: Don’t overeat. You will be ill. (HSLC 2000)
Ans: If you overeat, you will be ill.

Or

Don't overeat otherwise you will be ill.

Q: You turn these knobs. You can then open the box. (HSLC 2003) .
Ans: If you turn these knobs, you can open the box.

Or

You can open the box by turning these knobs.

Q: I have some duties. I must perform them. (HSLC 2013)
Ans: I have some duties which I must perform.

Q: Walk fast. You will miss the train. (HSLC 2017)
Ans: If you do not walk fast, you will miss the train.

Or 

Walk fast otherwise you will miss the train. 

Q: Speak the truth. Then I shall pardon you.
Ans: I shall pardon you if you speak the truth.

Q: We must read attentively. We will fail in the examination.
Ans: We must read attentively or we will fail in the examination.

Or

We must read attentively otherwise we will fail in the examination.


6. Relative Clause (Who/Which/Whom/Whose/That)

Q: The man created the trouble. He was arrested by the police. (HSLC 2001, 2008, 2018)
Ans: The man who created the trouble was arrested by the police.

Q: He brought a news. The news was not true. (HSLC 2009)
Ans: He brought news which was not true.

Q: I have lost the pen. You gave me the pen. (HSLC 2015)
Ans: I have lost the pen that you gave me.

Q: A man was running away. We saw the man.
Ans: We saw the man who was running away.

Q: My uncle built this bridge. He is an engineer.
Ans: My uncle, who is an engineer, built this bridge.

Q: I know the boy. The boy stood first.
Ans: I know the boy who stood first.

Q: The one-horned rhino is regarded as a rare animal. It is found only in Assam.
Ans: The one-horned rhino, which is regarded as a rare animal, is found only in Assam.

Q: I know the boy. You helped him yesterday.
Ans: I know the boy whom you helped yesterday.

Q: This is the boy. He stood first in the class.
Ans: This is the boy who stood first in the class.

Q: Alexander was the king of Macedonia. He invaded India.
Ans: Alexander, the king of Macedonia, invaded India.

Q: He gifted me a pen. Its colour was red.
Ans: He gifted me a pen whose colour was red.

Q: The man is sitting under a tree. He was very tired.
Ans: The man, who was very tired, is sitting under a tree.


7. Participial Phrase

Q: You insulted him. This is his complaint. (HSLC 1998)
Ans: His complaint is that you insulted him.

Q: I finished my work. I was taking rest. (HSLC 2020)
Ans: Having finished my work, I was taking rest.

Q: The hunter looked over the rock. He saw the man-eater.
Ans: Looking over the rock, the hunter saw the man-eater.

Q: He died young. It was unfortunate.
Ans: It was unfortunate that he died young.

Q: He would not come. He made it clear.
Ans: He made it clear that he would not come.

Q: He suspected that the thief might be inside. He informed the police.
Ans: Suspecting that the thief might be inside, he informed the police.

Q: He fled. He had seen a bear coming.
Ans: Having seen a bear coming, he fled.


8. Addition (And/Both…and/As well as)

Q: She opened the cage. She let the bird fly away. (HSLC 2004)
Ans: She opened the cage and let the bird fly away.

Or

Opening the cage she let the bird fly away.

Q: The businessman is a miser. He has donated generously today. (HSLC 2011)
Ans: The businessman, though a miser, has donated generously today.

Or

The businessman is a miser but he has donated generously today.

Q: He is hardworking. He is also intelligent.

Ans: He is both hardworking and intelligent.

Q: It was a good idea. It was a dangerous idea.
Ans: It was a good as well as a dangerous idea.


9. Contrast (But/Though/Although)

Q: I speak the truth. I am not afraid of it. (HSLC 2012)
Ans: I speak the truth but I am not afraid of it.

Or

I speak the truth so I am not afraid of it. 

Q: He was poor. He was honest.
Ans: He was poor but honest.

Or 

Inspite of his poverty he is honest.

Q: He tried hard. He failed in the examination.
Ans: Though he tried hard, he failed in the examination.

Or

Q: He tried hard but failed in the examination.

Q: He  is rich. He is not happy.

Ans: He is rich but not happy.


10. Cause/Reason (Because/When/As soon as)

Q: I can’t buy a car. I don’t have the money. (HSLC 2004)
Ans: I can’t buy a car because I don’t have the money.

Q: The tiger saw the hunter. Then it ran away.
Ans: The tiger ran away as soon as it saw the hunter.

Or

Having seen the hunter the tiger ran away.

Q: He saw me. I got off the bus.
Ans:  when I got off the bus he saw me.

Q: You get more. You want more.
Ans: You get more if you want more.



No comments:

Post a Comment