Wednesday, September 10, 2025

 Synthesis of sentences


1. H.S.L.C – 1998

(i) Robin is my friend. He is a journalist.
➡ Robin, who is my friend, is a journalist.

(ii) You insulted him. This is his complaint.
➡ His complaint is that you insulted him.


2. H.S.L.C – 1999

(i) Where has he gone? Do you know it?
➡ Do you know where he has gone?

(ii) A boy said this. I know the boy.
➡ I know the boy who said this.


3. H.S.L.C – 2000

(i) What are you making? Let me see.
➡ Let me see what you are making.

(ii) Don’t overeat. You will be ill.
➡ If you overeat, you will be ill.


4. H.S.L.C – 2001

(i) He was ignorant of the matter. His ignorance was complete.
➡ He was completely ignorant of the matter.

(ii) The man created the trouble. He was arrested by the police.
➡ The man who created the trouble was arrested by the police.


5. H.S.L.C – 2002

(i) He is very sincere. Everybody in the school says this.
➡ Everybody in the school says that he is very sincere.

(ii) You can start the machine. You have to press this button.
➡ You can start the machine by pressing this button.


6. H.S.L.C – 2003

(a) I have seen you somewhere. I can’t remember where.
➡ I can’t remember where I have seen you.

(b) You turn these knobs. You can then open the box.
➡ If you turn these knobs, you can open the box.


7. H.S.L.C – 2004

(a) She opened the cage. She let the bird fly away.
➡ She opened the cage and let the bird fly away.

(b) I can’t buy a car. I don’t have the money.
➡ I can’t buy a car because I don’t have the money.


8. H.S.L.C – 2005

(a) The earth is round. We can prove it.
➡ We can prove that the earth is round.

(b) We should drop the plan. That is my suggestion.
➡ My suggestion is that we should drop the plan.


9. H.S.L.C – 2006

(a) He will pass. There is no doubt about it.
➡ There is no doubt that he will pass.

(b) My uncle built this bridge. He is an engineer in the P.W.D.
➡ My uncle, who is an engineer in the P.W.D., built this bridge.


10. H.S.L.C – 2007

(a) The rain will stop. Let us wait till then.
➡ Let us wait till the rain stops.

(b) He is not sincere. He is not honest.
➡ He is neither sincere nor honest.


11. H.S.L.C – 2008

(a) The man created the trouble. He was arrested by the police.
➡ The man who created the trouble was arrested by the police.

(b) The earth is round. We can prove it.
➡ We can prove that the earth is round.


12. H.S.L.C – 2009

(a) He was innocent. He wanted to prove it.
➡ He wanted to prove that he was innocent.

(b) He brought a news. The news was not true.
➡ He brought news which was not true.


13. H.S.L.C – 2010

(a) Where does he live? Do you know it?
➡ Do you know where he lives?

(b) He is innocent. Everybody says this.
➡ Everybody says that he is innocent.


14. H.S.L.C – 2011

(a) The businessman is a miser. He has donated generously today.
➡ The businessman, though a miser, has donated generously today.

(b) Why are you so late? Tell me.
➡ Tell me why you are so late.


15. H.S.L.C – 2012

(a) I speak the truth. I am not afraid of it.
➡ I am not afraid of speaking the truth.

(b) Walk fast. You will miss the train.
➡ Walk fast or you will miss the train.


16. H.S.L.C – 2013

(a) I have some duties. I must perform them.
➡ I must perform the duties I have.

(b) This is my friend. His name is John.
➡ This is my friend whose name is John.


17. H.S.L.C – 2014

(a) The bird was very small. It could not fly. (use too)
➡ The bird was too small to fly.

(b) He is not intelligent. He is not brave. (use neither…nor)
➡ He is neither intelligent nor brave.


18. H.S.L.C – 2015

(a) I have lost the pen. You gave it to me.
➡ I have lost the pen that you gave me.

(b) Health is very important. It must not be neglected.
➡ Health, which is very important, must not be neglected.


19. H.S.L.C – 2016

(a) The moon is round. It has been proved.
➡ It has been proved that the moon is round.

(b) Where does he live? Do you know it?
➡ Do you know where he lives?


20. H.S.L.C – 2017

(a) Man is mortal. Everybody knows this.
➡ Everybody knows that man is mortal.

(b) Walk fast. You will miss the train.
➡ Walk fast or you will miss the train.


21. H.S.L.C – 2018

(a) The boy is not brave. The boy is not intelligent.
➡ The boy is neither brave nor intelligent.

(b) The man created the trouble. The man was arrested.
➡ The man who created the trouble was arrested.


22. H.S.L.C – 2019

(a) The earth is round. We can prove it.
➡ We can prove that the earth is round.

(b) Where does he live? Do you know it?
➡ Do you know where he lives?


23. H.S.L.C – 2020

(a) Where has he gone? Do you know it?
➡ Do you know where he has gone?

(b) I finished the work. I was taking rest.
➡ Having finished the work, I was taking rest.


24. H.S.L.C – 2022

(a) He is not sincere. He is not honest.
➡ He is neither sincere nor honest.

(b) The earth moves round the sun. Everybody knows it.
➡ Everybody knows that the earth moves round the sun.


✅ Additional Important Questions

  1. He was poor. He was honest.
    ➡ He was poor but honest.

  2. Speak the truth. Then I shall pardon you.
    ➡ I shall pardon you if you speak the truth.

  3. The hunter looked over the rock. He saw the man-eater.
    ➡ Looking over the rock, the hunter saw the man-eater.

  4. The baby walked. The mother walked along.
    ➡ The baby walked and the mother walked along.

  5. They live in a village. It is six miles away.
    ➡ They live in a village which is six miles away.

  6. The box is very heavy. I cannot lift it.
    ➡ The box is too heavy to lift.

  7. He tried hard. He failed in the examination.
    ➡ Though he tried hard, he failed in the examination.

  8. A man was running away. We saw the man.
    ➡ We saw the man who was running away.

  9. He will pass. There is no doubt about it.
    ➡ There is no doubt that he will pass.

  10. You were ill. I did not know it.
    ➡ I did not know that you were ill.

  11. It was a good idea. It was a dangerous idea.
    ➡ It was a good as well as a dangerous idea.

  12. She sang a song. Everybody liked it.
    ➡ Everybody liked the song she sang.

  13. He is hardworking. He is also intelligent.
    ➡ He is both hardworking and intelligent.

  14. My uncle built this bridge. He is an engineer.
    ➡ My uncle, who is an engineer, built this bridge.

  15. You will do well. There is no doubt about it.
    ➡ There is no doubt that you will do well.

  16. He died young. It was unfortunate.
    ➡ It was unfortunate that he died young.

  17. I know the boy. The boy stood first.
    ➡ I know the boy who stood first.

  18. This man is not educated. He is not intelligent either.
    ➡ This man is neither educated nor intelligent.

  19. He said something. I could not understand it.
    ➡ I could not understand what he said.

  20. My uncle is a novelist. Do you know him?
    ➡ Do you know my uncle who is a novelist?

  21. He would not come. He made it clear.
    ➡ He made it clear that he would not come.

  22. The one-horned rhino is regarded as a rare animal. It is found only in Assam.
    ➡ The one-horned rhino, which is regarded as a rare animal, is found only in Assam.

  23. He suspected that the thief might still be inside the house. He quietly went away and informed the police.
    ➡ Suspecting that the thief might still be inside the house, he quietly went away and informed the police.

  24. He is very weak. He cannot move.
    ➡ He is too weak to move.

  25. She is not intelligent. She is not sincere.
    ➡ She is neither intelligent nor sincere.

  26. I know the boy. You helped him yesterday.
    ➡ I know the boy whom you helped yesterday.

  27. I have not met him. I have not written to him.
    ➡ I have neither met him nor written to him.

  28. He received the news. He started for home.
    ➡ On receiving the news, he started for home.

  29. This is the boy. He stood first in the class.
    ➡ This is the boy who stood first in the class.

  30. Alexander was the king of Macedonia. He invaded India.
    ➡ Alexander, the king of Macedonia, invaded India.

  31. You get more. You want more.
    ➡ The more you get, the more you want.

  32. He gifted me a pen. Its colour was red.
    ➡ He gifted me a pen whose colour was red.

  33. He fled. He had seen a bear coming.
    ➡ Having seen a bear coming, he fled.

  34. He is honest. It is known to all.
    ➡ It is known to all that he is honest.

  35. The tiger saw the hunter. Then it ran away.
    ➡ The tiger ran away as soon as it saw the hunter.

  36. We must read attentively. We will fail in the examination.
    ➡ We must read attentively or we will fail in the examination.

  37. The man is sitting under a tree. He was very tired.
    ➡ The man, who was very tired, is sitting under a tree.

  38. He saw me. I got off the bus.
    ➡ I got off the bus when he saw me.

  39. He is saying something. I can’t hear it.
    ➡ I can’t hear what he is saying.

  40. They have suggested something. I am against it.
    ➡ I am against what they have suggested.

  41. He is rich. He is not happy.
    ➡ He is rich but not happy.

  42. The stick is very short. It cannot reach the ceiling.
    ➡ The stick is too short to reach the ceiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment